The Elf On the Shelf
The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition is a 2005 children's picture book, written and self-published by American author Carol Aebersold and daughter Chanda Bell, and illustrated by Coë Steinwart. The book tells a Christmas-themed story, written in rhyme, that explains how Santa Claus knows who is naughty and who is nice, and describes elves visiting children between Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve, after which they return to the North Pole until the next holiday season.The Elf on the Shelf comes in a keepsake box that features a hardbound picture book and a small soft toy in the form of a pixie scout elf.
Christmas Eve Box
A great family tradition to wrap up Christmas. Each year on Christmas Eve the children get to open a box of goodies containing everything your family needs to have a family night. The box should include items such as;
Put your pjs on and snuggle up for your favorite Christmas movie. A great way to wind down before Santa comes.
When I was a kid my mother started a tradition of buying us a new ornament each year. Each year she would search to find the perfect ornament. She would present us with our new ornament each year while we decorated the tree. It was always exciting to see which ornament she had picked out. When I moved out she gave me my collection of ornaments that she had bought me over the years. She started the tradition to ensure that I had a set of ornaments when I moved out on my own. It was a very special tradition that she has carried on with my children. Each year she buys them a new ornament so they can start their own collection.
- Read a holiday book each night
- Watch the 25 days of Christmas countdown shows on ABC family
- Buy a new Christmas ornament each year.
- Draw names in your immediate family and make a gift for that person.
- Find a giving tree that allows you to sponsor a family in need or purchase toys for children in need. Go shopping for the items together and donate them.
- Make a ginger bread house
- Make and deliver cookies to your neighbors